1840 Guest House
Bed & Breakfast
A "5-star", reasonably priced, bed and breakfast with exceptional service, modern amenities and perfect location. Come relax in the comfort of our home, fully renovated and enlarged from an original 1840 schoolhouse.
Please join us in Merrickville - "The Jewel of the Rideau"
Yes, we are open! ......but
With Premier Ford's "Emergency Brake" announcement of 1 April, we need to adjust our services.
- Our guest house suites remain available
- Our "schoolhouse" is closed therefore there is no common living room or dining room
- Our Wine and Whisky Bar is closed
- Due to announced dining restrictions, we are not able to "serve" any food or meals or provide beverages (coffee, tea, juices) from our beverage bar
We will provide a "takeout" type continental breakfast in the form of a "bag" meal left outside your guest room door at a mutually agreed upon time.
As a reminder, we do have some rooms with kitchenettes.
The 1840 Guest House B&B was originally a one room “common” schoolhouse built in 1829. It subsequently became the “Minto” school and then the Royal Canadian Legion in 1933 before being rebuilt in 2012 to become the 1840 Guest House B&B. Our name comes from a historical inscription found on a stone wall that states “Mirricksville 1840”.
Today, the property consists of the fully renovated original schoolhouse, which is used as the main living and dining room, and a large residence for the luxury bedrooms. There is also an Annex with two additional suites, built in 2018.
Your hosts, Carolyn and John, look forward to welcoming you to this amazing historical property and the beautiful village of Merrickville.
Enjoy our complimentary made-to-order full breakfast in the schoolhouse or on the balcony
Wifi and Satellite TV
Fastest possible internet. News, movies and sports channels in every room
Tour the village and enjoy the scenery along the Rideau
We offer unlimited coffee, tea and juice at our beverage bar
Toiletries and More
Pharmacopia Canadian-made all-natural bath products, and sparkling water in all rooms
Our historic schoolhouse is available for weddings, conferences and other gatherings
Backyard oasis with seasonal pool, hot tub, sauna, patio and outdoor fireplace
Wine and Whisky Bar
Choose from a selection of wines, scotches and whiskeys, paired with cheese and charcuterie in the schoolhouse
Private Boat Charters
Coming soon. Experience the UNESCO Rideau Canal and villages from the waterway
Click on any image to view the Gallery in full size
Click on any image to view the Gallery full size
THINGS TO DO
UNESCO World Heritage Site. Walk to the locks and surrounding parkland. Canoe, kayak or motorboat along the canal
Learn about the history of the Rideau Canal.
Shop the Village
Known for its eclectic shops and art galleries, Merrickville welcomes you.
Bike or walk throughout the region. Check out the Rideau Trail or the Village walking tour.
Some of our other favourite links.....
Chamber of Commerce website is an excellent source for shopping and things to do. Click here.
Rideau Community Histories provides maps and histories of all towns in the region. Click here.
Hiking the Rideau links to many walking trails along the entire Waterway. Click here.
We would be pleased to print any information that you may wish to take on your visits
We certainly live in challenging times. At the 1840 Guest House, we take your safety (and ours) very seriously and yet, we take equally seriously our commitment to help you enjoy your stay. We have demanding cleanliness standards in place, best practises from the industry to keep you protected, and we, of course, follow the guidelines and rules of the Department of Public Health. This, combined with our quality service and surroundings, should create an environment where you feel safe and ready to relax and enjoy.
Approved face masks must be worn when arriving. We conduct active screening for all our guests. This includes a questionnaire to confirm previous travel, possible COVID exposures, and symptoms. We also conduct a mandatory temperature check. All guests must "pass" all aspects of the questionnaire in order to be registered.
- Masks must be worn in all indoor common spaces, and outdoor spaces as directed by Public Health.
- Common spaces are all areas where you could be in contact with other guests or staff. This includes hallways, staircases, foyers and all parts of the schoolhouse. In short, anytime you leave your room, you must wear a mask.
- Once seated in the schoolhouse, since tables are well spaced, masks may be removed. Masks must be worn whenever you leave your seated area.
- Meals will only be served when allowed by Public Health.
- In order to avoid contact with other guests, we stagger breakfast times with 30 minutes between each group of "bubble" guests. Breakfast times are every half hour between 7am and 10am and your time will be reserved on check in.
- Our Wine and Whisky Bar will only open as allowed by Public Health COVID protocols. We open by reservation only and are limited to assigned seating.
- Our unlimited self-serve beverage bar (coffee, tea, juices, ice water) is not available during COVID. Rather, we ask that all requests for beverages be made to the staff and we will be pleased to serve you.
- We cannot accept new, or honour existing reservations where self-isolation is required. We are not set up, nor do we have an operational plan where we could safely meet your needs and the needs of our other guests and staff. Thank you for your understanding.
- Hands must be washed or sanitized every time guests enter our buildings.
- Every effort must be made to maintain social distancing of 2 metres from staff and other guests who are not part of your approved "bubble".
- Board games and books, if used, must be identified to staff so that the necessary sanitization can occur before used by others.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we will only open our Wine and Whisky Bar on request for reservations of four or more. Call or email for reservations.
Please come join us!
Open to guests of the Bed and Breakfast daily.
Selecting your Wine and Whisky
We believe choosing your wine, whisky or other liquor should be an experience in and of itself. We invite you to explore the offerings in our cabinet and in our wine racks. Every whisky bottle has a price label for a 1.5oz pour and every wine bottle is also tagged with its price. We hope you find a new favourite or relax with something familiar from your past.
Although our focus is on wine, whisky and liquors, we understand the enjoyment of a good beer. We have six premium imported beers and one cider available at $8 per bottle. They are:
Guinness, Old Speckled Hen, Hoegaarden, HofBrau, Stella, Warsteiner, and an apple cider from Creekside Winery.
We offer gourmet cheeses and charcuterie for your enjoyment.
3-meat platter - $22
3-cheese platter - $26
1-meat Platter - $9
1-cheese platter - $10
Selections are accompanied with homemade crackers & condiments
Our House Wines
Creekside Estate Winery opened in 1997 in small-town Jordan, Ontario. The Winery is run by a passionate (some say fanatical) group of industry veterans who have decades of experience in their respective fields. The team of self-described cork dorks love what they do, and have fun doing it. We are pleased to offer a wide selection of Creekside wines as our House wines; for purchase by the bottle or glass. We also have some of their top-end "Reserve" wines for purchase by the bottle.
Reds: Cabernet Merlot, Syrah
Whites: Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigiot, Unoaked Chardonnay
$7 for 5oz or $10 for 8oz
Some of My Favourite Things For Sale
These wonderful products are now available for purchase at 1840. All Canadian family businesses with outstanding reviews due to exceptional products.
Please visit our entire selection in the Schoolhouse
Sustainable, ethically operated, fast drying, lightweight and extremely absorbent.
100 % Turkish Towels.
Classic or Buddhaful Collection
Finest quality material, manufacturing and design made from natural fabrics. Sustainable living.
Table linen, decor and kitchen
Jams & marmalades; established in 1927. Niagara fruit belt, pure old fashioned jam - hand stirring each batch in open stainless-steel kettles. No pectin or preservatives.
Check out time is 11am.
Check in time is 4-6pm unless alternative arrangements are made. Please contact us if required.
Payment is by cash (Canadian dollar only), credit or debit. No personal cheques please.
Children are welcome. Maximum room occupancy is 2 persons but there is an exception for children. One cot may be added to the Annex rooms (Rooms 4 and 5 only) and a maximum of 2 children may occupy a room with their parents or guardians. $10 surcharge per child per night. Prior notice is required if room occupancy will exceed two persons due to children.
Pet friendly rooms are only in the Annex (Rooms 4 and 5). Pets are not permitted inside the common areas of the main house. $20 surcharge per pet per night. Maximum 2 pets per room. Prior notice is required to secure a pet-friendly room. Pets must be kept on a leash and are not permitted in the pool area.
Room #5 (Ground Floor Annex) is fully wheelchair accessible and is available upon request. The schoolhouse, which has the main dining area, living room and associated washrooms, is also wheelchair accessible.
Parking is available for one car per room. Additional parking available on public streets.
Bicycle storage is available free of charge.
Bicycle rental is available at $5 per hour or $25 per day. Quantities limited.
NO SMOKING and NO VAPING in buildings, on balconies and at outdoor common areas. Please use designated smoking area only.
Breakfast time is by reservation and between 7:00-10:00am unless special arrangements are requested.
Breakfast must be pre-ordered from the available menu by 9pm the night prior.
With the exception of the schoolhouse, the property adopts "quiet mode" at 10pm daily. All lights will be dimmed or turned off as appropriate and we ask patrons to minimize noise as of that time.